A Guide to Final Year of University

It's that time of year again where summer is unfortunately over and for some of you, final year of university is just a few weeks away. This time last year, I was dreading it to be honest because it was obviously my last year of university studies. I had no plans or intentions to go and do a Masters or continue my studies in another way, so knowing this was the final curtain for me was daunting.


Despite this, I tried to not let it distract me so much and just tried to make the last year of university for me count. But what I wanted to do was share my experience from my final year in the form of advice, so that if any of you are feeling exactly how I felt or know of anyone who is feeling the same way, this advice can be shared.

What you are about to read are my top 5 tips to get through the final year of university, starting with:

Tip #1: Don't let the phrase "Final Year" get on top of you


Now I know this is easier said than done, but from my experience, you really don't want this to overcome you and your studies. Final year is important in you getting the outcome you want. You do want to work hard and to the best of your ability; however, just treat each day you are in university and doing work outside of class as normal. Plan what work you're wanting to achieve for the day and what goals you want reached by the end of the week. As I was enjoying the work I was doing, I didn't feel like it was a massive task that had to be done (if that makes any sense?) Of course I knew how much the work would mean to my final grade and for a future portfolio, but I just threw myself into my work as I had done for the previous years of my university studies. Don't let the pressure completely overcome you and if you feel it does, read...

Tip #2: Have some "you" time


This is so vital to getting through final year. I honestly thought it would just be work work work every day which, don't get me wrong, it was...! HOWEVER, not every day required me to be sitting at a desk or going into uni sewing for about 8 hours or more. You have the time to take an hour out of the day and just switch off, go into your relaxing, happy place. For me, I went to the gym to release the stress in my sweat and it massively helped. If I felt like being lazy, then I was lazy. I would stay in my pjs and binge-watch YouTube or Friends (literally Friends was the go-to series for me when it was nearing deadlines). Going on walks or even going out to get my food shop for the week was a relief from uni work because it was my time to switch off. On the weekends when George would come to mine or I went to his, I would feel massively guilty for having to do uni work, but we still scheduled in the time to go to the cinema, go out for food, or just chill inside watching the footy. Always have some you time.



Tip #3: Talk to people when it gets too much


I'm a natural stresshead, so I had the odd one (or 100) breakdowns during my final year, and the one thing that got me through it was talking to people and just letting it all out. My boyfriend, family, friends at uni and back home, they listened to me and advised me where they could and comforted me. Literally the one thing I miss right now is being so close to George because there are days where I need his cuddles so badly! Even writing it down in a diary or a blog post if you have a blog yourself just to get it all out, you are definitely not going to be experiencing the same thoughts yourself. People will relate and be able to talk to you about it as well. Do not keep your feelings bottled up and just talk. 



Tip #4: Make the most of the uni lifestyle


Now for me, I don't know if I did make the most of the uni life but I've never been one for going out on the night anyways. I mean definitely do not prioritise this over your studies for sure, but don't dismiss enjoying yourself to let your hair down! Going to union events, popping round your friend's flat next door, having games nights or TV nights (me and my friends had Apprentice nights, Sewing Bee nights, a lot) are times that you want to make the most of if you're all moving back home after uni is over. I've made close friends from uni and we still keep in touch now despite the distance. Having study sessions together helped enormously for me during final year as we all kept each other motivated when we needed it, so I would highly recommend this for sure. Your last year of uni is one where effectively, you have that bit of freedom before graduating into the adult world so make it one to remember, which leads me onto...

Tip #5: Prepare for life after graduation


It's a tip which we all unfortunately have to consider and we can't avoid because for me, final year just flew by. By the end of second year, I had an idea of what I wanted to do after my studies and in final year, we had the opportunity of looking at how to get into what we wanted to do and really think about it. It's definitely not easy planning the rest of your life away when you're just trying to plan out what work you want to achieve each day, so don't think of it like that. Think of it as "okay so this is what I want to do or have done or be in 5 years time".  I wish I did more of this and made a 5-year plan, but I knew I wanted to have a job within the average 6 months of graduating in the field I wanted to embark - and I have. I knew I would have to move back home because of finances, which is what I have done; however, my plan is to move in with George back up north because I love the north. I wanted to order my provisional driving license and look into learning how to drive, which is still on the cards for me as soon as I've got a decent bit of money in my pocket. Little achievements at a time help you deal with the jump from student to full-time adult and whilst it is challenging to adjust to, you will get there without a doubt.




I apologise for this essay of a blog post but I felt it all had to be written for all you final year students out there. I hope it has been of help to you and a worthy read and I wish you all the best of luck for your studies and for whatever you decide to do once you've finished. You will smash it!

Much Love

V A x

Comments