Life After Graduating

So again, it has been a long time since I last had a post for you all to read because of how hectic university was - again. Now that my uni days are finally over (I graduated with a 2:1 yay), the adult life has really and truly begun - and boy has the change been noticed.


I moved back home now about a month ago and in that time, I have unpacked and completely sorted through my room as it felt the perfect time to have a sort out; but the first couple of weeks before going on holiday with my boyfriend and his family were tough.

I've always been that type of person who bottles their feelings up, doesn't want to bother others with how I'm really feeling because, unless I really can't, I tend to keep the feelings to myself - it's how I have always been. Yet, life after university really does mess with your mentality because now the adult life has hit you, even though you knew it was going to happen anyway, you still don't realise it now has happened: and it takes time for the reality to set in.


I was applying for jobs I'd say a good month and a half before I graduated and moved back home, some related to what I want to do and some not. I was hating applying to jobs I just knew I wouldn't enjoy because the fact is I would have to start earning my pocket to get by. Declines were inevitable because I'm not a perfect candidate ready for anything in the working world (I mean, who is?) Nevertheless, I had some phone interviews that turned into face-to-face interviews which then turned into me having 2 job offers and I am happy to say I will be starting my new job next week in Birmingham.

For a student who had recently graduated to be in that position, well I just felt privileged, relived and proud; yet, being at home with nothing really to do was horrible. I really did have a few down days which is normal for sure; but I feel this is the one thing that universities don't really teach you. Of course we know it is going to be difficult if we can't find something straight away and universities are honest in saying that it will be difficult; but what they don't teach us is how mentally we can prepare for that change.


All I have known really since nursery all those years ago is just education, education, education. I didn't take a gap year because I knew that if I did, my desire to go to university would vanish and I wouldn't look back. I've not known anything different which influenced the days where I just didn't really want to get out of bed. With my friends at home being in full-time jobs and my boyfriend now back to being 3 hours away, I just wasn't in a great mental state. I mean for all I know, it could've just been my hormones that were affecting me (I would not be surprised), but they wouldn't have been a massive factor into how I was feeling.

Am I glad I had these thoughts? Heck no. It is a big reality check finishing university for sure. Am I glad to be a full-time adult now? Oh boy yes. I can start looking forward to learning to drive, I can finally earn my own way in a job that's related to what I want to do (I'm so lucky), I can start saving money again and look forward to the near future of eventually living with my boyfriend.


Life after graduating is scary, but right now, it's good scary. 

If any of you are feeling how I felt, stay positive. Talk to the ones you love most and can confide in. Don't give up. You will get what you want and all we've gotta do is work hard but enjoy the freedom we now have of being an adult. 
The world is your oyster.


Much Love
V A x


Comments

  1. Congratulations on getting a job so quickly after graduating! I graduated a couple of months ago and am still waiting to hear back from a job I had two interviews for so fingers crossed! It's definitely a really difficult limbo period so I'm trying to throw all my energy into blogging until I get one! Good luck with the new job xx
    londonsnewgirl.blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you! Yeah I've been fortunate really to land a job within a month as I didn't think it was going to happen, but I needed it to happen! I hope you have got the job!! Hopefully my blogging will get back into the regular swings of things like it was before xx

      Delete
  2. I felt the same after uni. Leaving education for the last time was pretty sad and daunting. You'll soon get into a work routine and enjoy spending the hard earned pennies. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something which I feel not many understand in terms of how it can really mentally affect us and more needs to be done to recognise it really xx

      Delete

Post a Comment